An Interview with Generation Y
I sat down with a couple of young adults to get their opinion on 10 basic trends of modern dating. Check out the quiz at the bottom to find out your ideal date spot!
1) How should a guy ask a girl out?
GUY: Text her that you want to get together and then ask her in person.
GIRL: Ask her in person and be very direct about it. Call it a date. Don’t beat around the bush.
2) Where do you go/what do you do on the first date?
GUY: Definitely a bar for drinks; easy to get out of if things go south.
GIRL: Coffee. Dinner or an event should be saved for the 2nd date, once you know whether or not he’s crazy.
3) What is your budget for a first date?
GUY: I’m willing to go up to $75 if I’m really trying to impress her.
GIRL: $20, since we’re only going to do coffee.
4) Who pays for a first date?
GUY: I plan on paying, but if she insists on going dutch that’s fine with me.
GIRL: If he isn’t paying, I’m not staying.
5) On a first date, does the guy pick the girl up or do they meet somewhere?
GUY: Meet up.
GIRL: Meet up. It isn’t safe to be without a mode of transportation with someone you don’t know.
6) When does a relationship become “Facebook Official?” – when you announce on Facebook you are in a relationship
GUY: Whenever she tells me to or I see that she has changed her relationship status.
GIRL: When you are ready to tell your parents.
7) When do you “meet the parents?”
GUY: 3 months in, if it’s serious.
GIRL: Anytime after you become “Facebook Official.”
8) How many dates should you go on before sex?
GUY: If all seems right, go for it on the 1st or 2nd date. But if not, it’s okay to wait! It depends on the person.
GIRL: Usually three, but I’ve definitely done it on the first date.
9) How long should a couple wait before moving in together?
GUY: At least a year.
GIRL: 1 – 2 years.
10) How long should a couple wait before getting engaged?
GUY: A year minimum, preferably 2 or more.
GIRL: 2 – 3 years.
Where should you go on a first date?
Take this quiz to find out!