Director of Development
Lyric Theatre of Oklahoma, Oklahoma’s leading professional theatre, is seeking a Director of Development (DoD) to join our team and oversee all fundraising aspects for Lyric Theatre, a 501c3 non-profit organization. This position is a vital member of the senior staff working closely with the Managing Director, the Producing Artistic Director, and Board of Directors. The DoD creates and executes a comprehensive development strategy that includes corporate, individual, foundation and government funding as well as Trustee support. The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated individual with front-line fundraising experience and a track record of creating successful development campaigns. The DoD is responsible for 1.7 million dollars in revenue and supervises two full-time staff members: the Development Officer/Special Events Planner and Development Coordinator. This position is ideal for an energetic, detail-oriented professional who is eager to be a part of a dynamic, fast-paced and beloved Oklahoma City institution.
- With the senior leadership of the theater, establish and execute a strategic vision and comprehensive development plan supporting the current and long term operating and capital needs of the theater.
- Aggressively lead and direct the organization and implementation of the theater’s fund raising from corporate, individual, foundation, and government sources. Key initiatives include the ongoing identification and cultivation of individual and corporate donors, with particular focus on accessing new constituencies and major gift development and an emphasis on the effective stewardship of donors.
- Work with the theater’s senior leadership to motivate and strengthen the Board in its role in development; expand, manage and coordinate the trustees’ and other volunteers’ involvement in fundraising activities; take an active role in serving and supporting the Board, Development Committee, and other Board committees.
- Work closely with staff, trustees, and other volunteers to maximize the effectiveness of the theater’s special events, which range from small cultivation events to an annual gala.
- Foster ongoing, collegial relations among the development department and other departments of the organization and help integrate fund raising into the culture of Lyric Theatre.
- Build, train, mentor, and supervise an effective and professional development team.
- As a representative of Lyric Theater, take an active role in the community and cultivate key relationships and associations with centers of influence within the city, state and region.
- Supervise and manage the research and preparation of all foundation, corporate and government grant proposals, and oversee grant administration and reporting.
- Manage and oversee development reports and records; prepare and manage the department’s financial reports and budget; monitor budget and control expenses.
Qualifications & Skills
The successful candidate must:
- Be an accomplished and well-rounded fund-raising professional with proven ability in raising leadership and transformational gifts for all purposes of Lyric Theatre. Possess a demonstrated track record in the management of successful development programs, successfully soliciting and closing gifts.
- Be a strategic leader with solid experience in managing, mentoring and motivating staff with the ability to inspire those working with him/her toward accomplishing common objectives.
- Be exceptionally well-organized, able to plan strategically, set priorities, focus on details and follow through while not losing sight of the big picture, with the flexibility to welcome and embrace change, and the ability to balance the many challenges inherent in an active and lively theatre environment.
- Be a sophisticated, warm, highly personable, mature and discreet individual, with an entrepreneurial mindset, a results-oriented work ethic, who works effectively with trustees, donors, volunteers and is comfortable dealing with people of wealth, and who relishes taking an active, public role in the cultivation and solicitation of donors as a representative of Lyric Theater.
- Understand and support the mission of Lyric Theatre, appreciate the important role cultural institutions play in the life of a vibrant community, and have the ability to articulate this mission and role to others.
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with integrated CRM systems (such as Patron Manager, Tessitura, Razor’s Edge, etc.) is a plus.
- Have at least five years of progressive fund-raising experience in a not for profit organization, preferably in the arts.
The ideal candidate will also:
- Have a genuine interest in live theatre and/or the performing arts.
- Be a creative, energetic, and collaborative team player.
- Have a desire to be part of the Oklahoma City community.
Work Schedule, Compensation, and Application Procedure
This position is full time and requires some off-peak hours for evening meetings and events.
Salary is commensurate with experience with experience and competitive with other 501c3 organizations of comparable stature and size in Oklahoma. Package includes medical and dental insurance, paid vacation, sick leave, long term disability, complimentary tickets to Lyric productions, and paid personal time.
To apply, please submit the following electronically to: Jim@LyricTheatreOKC.org or mail to: Managing Director, Lyric Theatre of Oklahoma, 1727 NW 16th, Oklahoma City, OK 73106. Include the following:
- Cover letter
- Salary requirements
- Contact info for four professional references including name, title, email, phone, and relationship. We will not contact references without your knowledge.
Lyric Theatre is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.